Cooking healthy meals at home can be a challenge at the best of times. If you’re away from home…well it can be virtually impossible. Where do you shop? How much do you buy? Will you be eating in? What happens if you eat out? You don’t want to waste money buying things you don’t need (if you’re a stingy one like me anyway), so I thought I’d put together a simple shopping list that makes it easy to know what to buy at any supermarket.
1. Olive Oil, Lemon and Salt. The staple of any good salad dressing. You can put this combo on any salad or steak dinner and it will change your life. Lettuce never tasted so good let me tell you.
2. Protein. Chicken breast for one perhaps? Or steak? Can of tuna. Can of salmon. Smoked salmon. Eggs. Cheese. Egg and cheese omelette. The list goes on….
3. Greens. I like to just pick 3 things to make a salad with. Try not to go all Nigella on me or you’ll end up buying half the shop!! My favourites are spinach leaves, broccoli (steamed and blanched in cold water) and green beans.
4. Olive Oil, Lemon and Salt….oh sorry did I already say that…it must be worth saying twice!
5. I’m a bit of a tomato freak – some special friends know I eat them everyday- so grab some of those too. The colour makes you look all chefy too.
Now all you have to do is go home and put all your greens in a bowl. Grill, fry, roast your chicken or steak and slice into pieces to toss through. Or maybe just boil an egg or empty in a can of tuna. Toss all together and dress with…you guessed it…olive oil, lemon and salt!