Snack time! Seems to often be our biggest downfall. If we’re not prepared usually we will without a doubt reach for the carbs as our only option. Now I’m not entirely against carbs – especially living in London where they seem unavoidable! But if we can at least make better choices ie. carbs with no sugar, we’ll be helping our love handles out when we try to run them off later!
So what do you do when the only options are white bread sandwiches or the ever present blueberry muffin? Reaching for a juice instead or a smoothie isn’t going to help either. Don’t forget how much sugar there is in juice! Check the nutrition facts before you buy. Four grams of sugar equals one teaspoon. So if there is forty grams of sugar in your juice then that means there is TEN teaspoons of sugar! Yogurt is often a hidden culprit. That delicious low-fat strawberry tub is making you tubby!!
Here’s a few ideas to get you started. The most important thing is to be prepared. Especially when you get home and feel like snacking.
1. Seaweed wraps (nori sheets), hommus, cheese. Or maybe try making vege wraps with carrot and cucumber sticks.
2. Natural probiotic yogurt, raspberries, blueberries (any ‘berries’ are great for you). Frozen are great too!
3. Wraps or Rice Cakes. (Yes they are carbs but note the lack of sugar!). Top with avocado and smoked salmon. Squeeze of lemon. Maybe some Aoili? YUM!
4. Miso soups. Find an organic brand that’s low in sodium (salt). Great for a hot drink alternative to tea.
5. Chopped tomato, cucumber, finely sliced red onion, natural yogurt, lots of salt and pepper. Mini instant salad. Top with tuna it eats like a meal.
This is just a few to get you started! More to follow…stay tuned